Monday, November 10, 2014

Storytelling: Matsya Kingdom - Week 13

The final casting list was about to come out. Students lined up outside the theater with high hopes of scoring the part of their dreams. The teacher came out with the list and walked up to the bulletin board; the students crowded closer and closer and tension grew. She pinned the list to the board and quickly moved out of the way.

Final Casting List
Matsya Kingdom

In order of appearance:

Brahmin .......... Yudhishthira
Virata's cook .......... Bhima 
Sudeshna's personal maid .......... Draupadi
Cattle supervisor .......... Sahadeva
Horse supervisor .......... Nakula
Eunuch .......... Arjuna

Synopsis of Scenes:
The acts take place in the Matsya Kingdom where King Virata rules. This is where the Pandavas choose to spend their thirteenth year of exile. They take on these parts to aid in their disguise. 


Everyone was content with their parts, it had been just what they auditioned for. Except for Arjuna. Arjuna read his part and stormed down the hallway. How dare the theater teacher force him to succumb to the part of the eunuch. The eunuch lives with the women of the court as a music and dance teacher. This seemed like the result of some curse. 

Yudhishthira was exceptionally happy with his part. In his real life, he had never been very good at dice and chess. The brahmin was an expert at dice and chess. Yudhishthira got to be whoever he wanted in the alternative reality that was the theater. That is why Yudhishthira loved the theater so much. He had always been the star, everyone looked up to him. 

Draupadi was excited to be the token woman in this act. She knew Yudhishthira, Bhima, Sahadeva, Nakula, and Arjuna all liked her and she milked it in every way that she could. 

Sahadeva was the youngest of the group and therefore felt the need to prove himself.
Nakula was Sahadeva's close friend. Nakula only joined theater because Sahadeva did. 

Lastly, Bhima proved to have unmatchable talent in everything he does. He was very confident in his part of the play and everyone else was confident in him.

All of the actors will come together Saturday night to create a one of a kind play that would portray an important aspect of Indian Culture.

Google Images

Author's note:
I decided to base my story off of The Pandavas move into the Matsya kingdom. My story takes place in a theater setting. The Pandava brothers and Draupadi are the actors and the parts they play are the parts they take to disguise themselves while in exile. I tried to describe each character in my story parallel to who they are in the original story. 


Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata





4 comments:

  1. Carrie, this story is awesome!! I would have never thought to use theater casting as a way to begin a storytelling story, but it totally worked for your story. I can honestly say that this is one of the most creative storytelling posts that I've seen. I think using the Pandava brothers and their wife, Draupadi, as the actors was brilliant. It really let you get into detail about their personalities. I also like how you gave a description after some of your words so that readers can understand what you were talking about. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this storytelling was a great way to retell a part of the Mahabharata. The characters are obviously perfect for the roles they are cast in, and make perfect sense in reference to the epic. I thought it was funny how you mentioned that Yudhishthira was never very good at gambling or board games. Great casting of the Pandavas in your original production!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, I love this storytelling post! I love when I read really creative retellings of stories, and yours was just awesome! I love the theatre theme and that you had them "playing their parts" like they are in their exile. Your writing flowed beautifully, and kept my attention the entire way through. It really was captivating and fun to read, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carrie! I really enjoyed this story and this was one of my favorite parts in the Mahabharata, making this story more enjoyable. I really liked how you presented this story and the setting of the theater setting was really unique compared to the stories I have read so far. I can’t wait to read more stories from you this semester.

    ReplyDelete