Thursday, August 21, 2014

Storybook favorites - Week 1

The first storybook I picked was IE Yoga Studios: Pose Origins Workshop. This caught my attention because I am very into yoga; I attend hot yoga every week.
I had a little bit of background insight into the origins of yoga but nothing near what they explained on their site. I found all of their information very interesting and easy to understand. The website, which was full of pastel colors and big font, did a good job reinforcing the calming tone they seemed to be setting. The story book covered four different yoga poses: Hanumanasana, Virabhadrasana, Garudasana, and Bhujangasana (most of which I only know by the much shorter nicknames.) Each was well explained with brief and simple explanations, this made it easy to follow what they were saying. 

https://sites.google.com/site/ieyogastudios/introduction

The second storybook that drew my attention was The Royal Girls' Room. This page is based off of an American TV show called The Amanda Show. The website is full of bright colors and fun fonts. I used this watch this show when I was younger so when I was looking through the Storybooks, this caught my attention. The Introduction page is set up as a dialogue between a girl and a toilet. As odd as it seems, it was quite attention grabbing. The purpose is to profile four people: Sita, Kaikeyi, Kunti, and Damayanti. Once again, each page is set up as dialogue, making it seem as though they are just high school girls in the bathroom gossiping. This made it not only easy to understand, but easy to stay interested. 
https://sites.google.com/site/theroyalladiesroom/introduction

I love animals, so naturally I had to pick at least one Storybook about animals. So the third Storybook I chose was Zoo Animal History. I enjoyed this one because it was set up as if you were on an tour at the zoo. It described three animals of Hindu importance: Matsya, Hanuman, and Jatayu. Overall, the design of the page was good. Although, I have to say, the font was a little hard to read. Other than that, the information was presented in a well organized and well thought out manor. It was a lot of information was it was given in a way that made it easy to follow, which is important to me because who wants to have to look up the definition of every other word in a story? 
https://sites.google.com/site/zooanimalshistory/home

I really enjoyed reading each one of these Storybooks, its easy to learn when the information is presented in such a creative way!

No comments:

Post a Comment