Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Storytelling: The Chase - Week 2

I made a promise to King Janaka the day I won his daughter's hand in marriage that I'd do anything I could to make her happy....if that means chasing a golden deer just to put a smile on her face then so be it. 

The tall grass whipped my ankles as I ran, small branches scraping my arms as if they were reaching out to hold me back. My eyes were fixated on the blur of a deer's behind in front of me; it effortlessly ran through the forest with no sign of stopping. I struggled to keep sight of it and keep my speed up at the same time. 

I am not about to let this deer get away. I told Sita I would bring it back...dead or alive, and that is exactly what I am going to do. However, at this point, dead would be a more desirable option. 

I began to think about Sita, how lucky I was to be married to a woman such as her. I would chase this deer for days just to see her smile. The thought of her beauty sent a brief smile across my face. I was quickly jerked back to reality when the deer took a sudden right turn into an open grassland. The large trees stretched over the area, making what acted as a ceiling for the grassland. Finally, to my relief, the deer stopped. 

He must think I am not following him anymore. Surely he wouldn't have stopped had he known I was right on his tail ready to shoot him down. 

I moved slowly through the trees that outlined the grassland, I was sure to avoid stepping on leaves for the sound might give away my whereabouts. I finally reached a place where I had a straight shot. There deer stood, shining in the small streaks of sunlight that crept between branches. 

He is going to make a beautiful rug.

I brought up my aim, lining the center of my front sight with his heart. A small ting of guilt crossed over me and for a brief moment I considered letting the animal live. I had to remind myself that I was doing this for Sita, and I had warned her that the animal would surely die at my hands. 
I released my golden arrow and the beautiful animal fell to the ground. 

How am I going to carry this large animal all the way back? I am now very far from hermitage.

As I neared the animal, it began to squirm.

It is not dead yet!

I leaned over the large animal, ready to take my final shot when all of a sudden...

"Oh Sita! Oh Lakshmana!" I was schocked to hear my own voice coming out of the deer's mouth. Then the unthinkable happened, the golden deer began morphing....into Maricha. His true identity was revealed.

I have been tricked! He has lead me away from my camp leaving Sita and Lakshmana alone!

Internet photo: Rama chases golden deer
Authors note:
I chose to do the story from the point of view of Rama as he is chasing down the golden deer. Part of it is him explaining the event as it is happening and part of it is his inner thoughts. I explained, from my imagination, what he was feelings and thinking about as he ran through the wood. Rama seems to fear nothing so I just thought it would be fun to dig a little into what is really going on in his head. 

Bibliography
Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.Maricha. Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, I think your storytelling post is very interesting! Your story is very well written and I enjoyed it. I am most interested in the stories about animals so this was right up my alley. I thought the ending was very ironic. Rama's point of view was very detailed and I truly feel bad for Maricha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a great writer! I also used The Ramayana by R.K. Narayan. I'm actually really enjoying it, and it looks as if you are also. I like that you wrote from the perspective of Rama (I found his character particularly interesting). My story involved the chasing of a golden pony as a representation of the golden deer. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete