Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Reading Diary Assessment - Week 8

Overall, I found the Reading Diaries to be very beneficial in understanding the information. I am sure I am not alone when I say too often I read through the assigned chapters for a class and forget everything a day later. The Reading Diaries proved to be a great way to really retain everything I was reading.
I noticed that the Diary instructions did not include a word requirement. I liked this because it allowed me to just write everything that I found to be important in the chapter. If there had been a word requirement, one would most likely write things that are not important for the sake of meeting the word count.
I pretty much used the same strategies in all of my Reading Diaries. I would write down the specific points from the story and then write my feelings about that point underneath. When I look back at them, I not only get a brief summary of the chapter, but can also recall how I felt about it. This became very helpful in remembering the information. Aside from that, I found it to be helpful to look back at the previous Reading Diary before I write the next one.
The Reading Diaries were very open to interpretation. I have looked at other students' Diaries and found various strategies used. Everyone was able to used the strategy which best worked for them, which I think is good. I also noticed that the Diaries varied in length. Some students wrote very long posts and some did not. My varied in length, depending on the amount of information I found to be important. Some of my posts were around one hundred words and some were closer to three hundred words.
I thought the study guides were extremely useful when writing my Reading Diaries. I could look back at them when I was having trouble remembering or understanding anything.
When reading through the book, I have to read and reread. The first time is to obtain the information and the second time is to remember it. I even read out loud sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment