Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Storytelling: Game of Dice - Week 9

I was not one to turn down a challenge. Backing down from a challenge is a sign of weakness, that of which I am not.
After all, I am the king of this great kingdom. What kind of king would I be if I did not step forward in the face of confrontation. I am a kshatriya. I do not cower; I am elite.
Sure, I am not be en expert in the game of dice but that is no reason to retreat. Expertise is overrated. I will win this challenge due to my relentless bravery and power.

Vyasa came to warn me of bad omens he foresees. I believe these are merely dreams. I will have to show him there is no reason for concern.

Here we go.

*Hours later*

How is this possible?
I have lost everything I own.
Could Vyasa have been right? Were my bad omens foreordained?
What am I to gamble next? Myself? My dear bothers? My wife?
I cannot stop now, that would be a sign of weakness. I have to continue. Surely my brothers will understand why I must put them on the line. Surely they would be willing to be at risk for the sake of dignity.

*Hours later*

This cannot be happening.
I have lost not only my freedom, but my families'...and now my wife's.
How dare Duryodhana treat her that way. He sees her as merely an object.
I will not let him know of my disfavor. I must stay calm. Stay calm.
It is not too late to turn this around. If he challenges me to another game, I will accept. I can win all of our freedom back. I will win all of our freedom back.

Oh there is a light! Draupadi has wished for our freedom and Duryodhana has granted it. I will return to my kingdom and prepare for the next challenge.

The stakes are higher this time. We face exile. Still, I will not back down. I do not back down! This time I will win. The omens are wrong this time.

Bhima is very angry. He is declaring revenge on Duryodhana. Stay assured my dear brother. I am a kshatriya. I will hold power over all. All will be well in the end....I just need some time.

Dice: Google Images

Authors Note:
I did my story based off of Yudhishthira and the dice challenge. I wrote what I thought would be going through his head before and during the game. I thought that he would very confident in his status and wary of showing fear. However, I added a little bit of concern throughout the dialogue because it gave him a little more personality.

Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

4 comments:

  1. Carrie, I really enjoyed reading your story! I loved that you added in his inner thoughts and presented his vulnerable side. I also really liked that you added some humor to this! I agree with you when you said that you wanted to add concern in his dialogue to give him more personality and I think you did a great job at that! Your story was really enjoyable to read. I found a couple of grammatical errors so just make sure to read it out loud, but other than that it was perfect! Great job! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie! I really enjoyed reading your story! You did such a great job delving into Yudhishthira's reasoning to himself, when in the story, it seemed utterly ridiculous. You did a great job giving some reasoning and helping the me understand better. This was one of the stories that stood out the most to me, so I'm glad you fleshed it out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carrie! That was a really great story. I had never really thought of this story from the perspective of Yudhisthira. I just thought that he was quite a idiot for gambling away his family and life. I had never really got the thought process behind of it and this story does a great job helping me connect with him and see his point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrie. I really enjoyed reading your story, and you did a great job of conveying Yudishthira’s feelings throughout the whole gambling process. It sucks to know that he learn from the first when he lost everything, including his wife, family, and kingdom. It was a nice short story and very concise. I hope to be reading more of your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete