Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Storytelling: Inside Sita's Head - Week 7

I shook visibly as we neared the assembly. This is not what I had imagined my fate to be.
How could he doubt my loyalty? Ive had nothing loyalty for him since the beginning. I know nothing else.

I put his ring on my finger, but it gave me little comfort.

It was not log ago that he was going to great lengths to rescue me, to bring me back to him. Now he is going to great lengths to inquire my better judgment.
Was this even about me? Maybe he is doing all of this because he is trying to prove his dignity. Maybe this is all a show.

There I stood, dressed in my finest garnets, wearing my finest jewelry. Yet, I felt as though I was merely a hermit being looked down upon by the king.
Except the king was someone I love, someone who I thought loved me.

Surely he does not love me anymore. How could be put me through this if he did love me?

I shook the thought from my head.

Vibhishana lead me towards the center of the assembly, lightly grasping my arm.
My heart sunk as I neared Rama. I looked to him and he gave gave no sign of assurance. His face was cold and he only looked at me for a brief second.

I began to feel something for him that I never thought I would before: doubt.
Is this someone I want to spend the rest of my life with? I was seeing a side of him that I had never seen before. I was undoubtedly disappointed.
How could I forgive him for putting me through this? How could I forgive him for doubting for innocence? How could I forgive him for thinking I would give something so sacred to Ravana?

No Sita, you must stop. This is not the time to doubt my dedication to Rama. If I start to believe that then the public will surely sense it.

The public looked so unforgiving, so judgmental. I shook at the thought of facing them.

I knew that I had maintained my innocence, but would the public believe so?

My thoughts began to race back to when Rama and I first saw each other. Our eyes met and fate was sealed. He won not only my father's competition, but my heart as well.
I knew at that moment he would hold my heart forever. Without fail, he does to this day.

Rama announced the start of the assembly and everyone in the crowd turned my way.
I took a deep breath.

Here we go.
Picture: Week 7 Reading Guide A


Authors note:
I did my story based on what I think would be going through Sita's head as she was heading to the assembly with Vibhishana.

Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Carrie! What a great story! I’m actually doing my storytelling post about something very similar and was truly impressed by your use of language and tone to convey Sita’s feelings. I can definitely feel the emotions that she is feeling and am so impressed by the atmosphere you’ve set. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative way to tell this story. I think that Sita is kind of treated like a piece of property that neither Ravana nor Rama physically are able to possess, but feel it is important for them possess mentally. In one version of the story it seems like Rama and Sita are only standing in the same room with each other for two pages. The rest of the time she is either in Lanka by herself or in exile from Rama. I think most people are doing stories about Sita because though she is a key part of the plot, she is not really given much consideration when it comes to character development. I think you have done a great job of expressing her emotions. In your version she is not just some object that Rama possesses but rather and actual human being. Human beings are always more interesting than objects so Great Job!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete