Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Storytelling: The Theater Club - Week 6

We had been good friends since birth; and I thought we would be forever. Even going into high school, we were close as ever. We hung out with the same group of friends and played on the same sports team.
However, as we got older, things began to change.
He began hanging around with a rough crowd. At first, I hung out with them often but I couldn't say I liked them. They spent their free time drinking and making fun of people who weren't in their group.

Our friendship faded with time. Although we still saw each other, we were not as close as we had once been.

After awhile, I began hanging out with people I had met in the theater club I joined.

The theater group...they were not the coolest people in the school but they were kind, and they were good friends to me.

He always gave me a hard time for hanging out with them. I chose to ignore it. It was my life and I was going to do what I wanted with it. His opinion didn't matter like it used to.
Don't get me wrong, I did still care for him. We had been friends for so long and the memories still stood where the friendship didn't.

One afternoon, I went to his house. Unexpectedly, all his free-loading friends were there. I sat quietly in the corner listening to them talk about the next party they're going to and who they picked on that day.
They then began talking about the theater club, as if I weren't in the room.
They went on and on about a prank they were planning to play on those "losers." They were all going to show up at the upcoming play and throw eggs at the actors during the performance. How creative of them....I know.

I don't know if he thought my loyalty was only with him, or if he genuinely forgot I was in the room, but he made no acknowledgment towards the fact that I was IN the theater club.

I thought long and hard before deciding that the right thing to do was to warn my true friends. I left, basically without anyone noticing, and drove quickly over to the theater. I warned them all of the upcoming prank and they came up with a plan of their own.

They would beat the bullies to the punch.

The night of the play came and everyone was ready. The bullies sat in the front row, eggs in hand.

Mid-show came and right when they were about to throw the eggs, the theater club runs around on stage, pounding the front row with eggs!

The person who was once my best friend, then become my enemy. I had betrayed him and there was no going back; but I was okay with that.
I had made the right choice.


Photo: Google Images

Authors Note:
I decide to do my story based on Vibhishana's betrayal of Indrajit. However I decided to change it to modern time and make it about kids in high school. This would be from the point of view of Vibhishana and he is talking about Indrajit. 

Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Carrie- that was such a creative and interesting re-telling of the story you chose- I’m extremely impressed! I have always done my storytelling posts in a style that was clearly related to the story, but this way is so much more relatable, interesting, and meaningful. I’m going to definitely try and make my future posts more like this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an amazing modern retelling of the story you chose! The way you wrote it, unless you explicitly knew that the story of Vibhishana and Indrajit was behind it, you would simply think it was a story about one friend being betrayed by another. It was totally relatable, easy to understand, and a great way to reimagine this story. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carrie, this was a very well written take on the story you chose. I like the style you chose to write the story in. The modern take makes the story much more relatable and an easier read as well. I feel like you did a great job of conveying a classic high school bullying story and relating it to our class. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a creative and wonderful retelling of the story of Vibhishana and Indrajit! I did not know which story you had chosen immediately after reading, but I was thoroughly interested in the story and its origins. You made it relatable to your readers who can easily remember the cliques in high school and the changes in friendships that happen during that time. I had fun reading it and I look forward to other stories from you, especially if they will keep me wondering like this one!

    ReplyDelete